So, today I don't feel started on the best foot because we had nothing to present. This being the first time the class would see our work I would have liked to have something. Well, that's neithr here nor there, we definitely got the opportunity to see our classmates work as well as progress. It seemed very tense and everyone sort of receeded when the time came to critique.
I tried to feel out the situation to see who'd have more to say, and who would just hang back and it was a bit shocking that as a class we were so quiet. Aren't these critiques meant to get us all talking and exchanging feedback with one another, and helping each other improve? It was so discouraging to have works on the board and everyone go silent. The feeling I got was the work was either that bad, or no one cared. Or maybe everyone is just a little timid and didn't want to step on any ones toes. I must admit I took the quiet route most of the time but feel I had things I could have mentioned that may have helped some groups, as well as let them know they did well.
I also felt like I got to see some of my classmates personalities through some of the work. This lead me to believe this may be the reason why some or most take the critiques very personally because they may see it as a part of themselves up there. I almost wish I could have that personal attachment to my work, but there's more of a disconnect. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my work, but I am my biggest critic all the same and I almost intentionally create space in a way, so I won't take it personal. I know everyone won't get my work or vision, and I'm okay with that. It only makes me feel I have to work that much harder to sway the sceptics, OR simply say, "I can't please um all ;-)".
It's a growing experience and a learning one because others often see the things you don't see sitting right in front of your face and I love that. We always need fresh eyes to look at these creations we often gawck at for hours and hours on end. I also believe this brought to light that time was a real issue for some, myself included, I had NOTHING to show! Time management was never my strong point, but I'm working on it.
All in all, it was a semi productive day for me at best. When you have nothing to show, you can't do much. *shrug* However, there were some insightful tips about the layouts that would be most effective, and how to avoid awkward tension and typography throughout the ads. Next, produce some effective ads. Stay tuned....
No comments:
Post a Comment