Thursday, February 16, 2012

Week 6 - Project 2 Product Advertising Feb 13th

So, today was rather surprising in ways. I was very skeptical and worried going into this class meeting because I knew I was not prepared, and I was a little confused, to say the least. My partner definitely came through for us today with flying colors, and it was much appreciated by me. My researching was pretty lax over the weekend, and I did apologize for that. I kept hitting "the wall", and I just had to face it, my brain did not want to think. (And I didn't force it to.) Now it's time to really work. Focus.

Well, for this project, I learned there is a lot more to it than just revamping a failing brand, WAY more. It began to make me wonder, what influences me to buy the products I have? I try to deny that they, the advertisers, have persuaded my decisions, but they have. Every time I go to the grocery store I'm looking for that one thing I saw on TV or in a print ad, and it's never on my list, but it finds its way there some how. I've also come to realize, we as consumers can be persuaded pretty easily, as long as the ad works. Placement is a big factor, as well as a compelling headline that communicates with the viewer instantly.

 I am happy to say, I don't wear any brands that clearly state a brand name, or are obviously a particular brand. I like to feel like I'm wearing the clothes and they are not wearing me.

This project is going to take a lot, a lot of research. ( I did mean to repeat a lot.) Mostly to know the brand full circle and avoid repeating something they have already done, AND to scope out the competition and really bring to light why this product is the superior product. All things considered, I want to say I'm looking forward to this project, I really want to, and maybe I will.

I feel like every class gets a little better each time. For me for sure, I'm sort of willed back into it again. I'm reminded that I can handle all this I just have to do it, and do it well; to the best of my abilities and hold nothing back. Even if I have a stupid idea, at least it will make space for a better one to evolve. Which is why sketching a billion sketches makes sense to me, and I only need to capitalize on the opportunity for some great ideas to surface. I really try to take to heart what is being said in class and really try to understand it, let it marinate :-9.

Today also reminded me that I have some pretty good ideas, but suck at getting them out of my head, and on to paper. Hopefully tonight won't be like pulling teeth. Here goes nothing.

To be continued...

1 comment: